Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reset a Password on Cisco 881 Firewall Router

I have a Cisco 881 Router. Currently when it boots up then it goes to User Mode and prompts for a password (& not username) and after you enter password and then you type command: Enable then it again asks for password (& not username) and after typing the password; it goes to Privilege Mode.

I want to change the setting so that when it reloads then it asks for Username and Password and when the Username and Password is entered then it directly goes to Privilege Mode. So what would be the steps to enable this feature so that it accepts the new username and password ? kindly note that currently it is not asking username but is only asking for password.

10 Replies 10

Edwin Portillo
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,
You can check the following material to delete the password:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/800-series-routers/12065-pswdrec-827.html

Dear Edwin,

I dont want to delete a Password but i want the Router to ask for a Username and Password and after entering the username and password, it should directly go to the privelage mode. Currently when it loads then it asks for a password in Usermode and when you enter Password and then type the command: Enable then it again asks for password and then it goes to Privilage Mode (#).

So, kindly advise the commands accordingly.

Thanks,

Vik.

Hello,

usually, if you have a username and password configured lke below:

username admin privilege 15 password 0 cisco

the router should go to the exec (Router#) prompt without asking for passwords or usernames. Is your router actually loading the IOS ?

Make sure your lines are configured as below:

line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
line aux 0
exec-timeout 0 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
line vty 0 4
login local
transport input all

Dear Georg,

Thanks for the info that by typing the following command the router should go to the exec (Router#) prompt without asking for passwords or usernames: 

username admin privilege 15 password 0 cisco

But when it reloads; i want it to ask for a username and password and when you provide it username and password then it should just go to the exec (Router#). Currently when it loads, it goes to User Mode and asks for a Password (it is not asking for a username) and when you enter Password then you type the command: Enable and then it asks for Password(here also it doesnot ask for a username) and then after password is typed then it goes to exec (#Router). 

So, kindly advise me the command then when it reloads then it should ask for a Username and Password and after entering the Username and Password then it should go directly to exec (#Router). Kindly note currently it asks for a password in Usermode and then asks for password again when you type the command: Enable. So, kindly advise the commands accordingly.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,

Vik.

Hello Vik,

just add the following

line con 0

login local

This should make the router behaviour like you want to do

Warning:

on the console you can test it before saving just by doing exit.

Test it before saving the configuration to see that it does not block your access to the console.

All the credit should go to Georg.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,

I am actually copying the configuration from the Old Cisco 881 Router to a new Cisco Router as we will be replacing the Old Router.

In the configuration of Old Router, i could see :

username fhgadmin privilege 15 secret 4 SaH7BHliDUwWYILodJn9zaGUTFuems0SqpHEE2Hk5KY

Though i copied the entire configuration on the new Router but in the new Router i can see:

username fhgadmin privilege 15 secret 4 SaH7BHliDUwWYILodJn9zaGUTFuems0SqpHEE2Hk5KY

username <myuser> privilege 15 secret 5 $1$9vck$octzFMH0.iBJl8sOdmY4E.

Could this second line (which was not supposed to be there) causing this issue and how should we delete/disable this second line. The Old Router is behaving perfectly fine that it asks for a Username and Password and after the credentials are typed in then it goes directly to the Privelage Mode.

So, kindly advise accordingly.

Thanks,

Vik.

Hello Vik,

multiple username/passwords with privilege level 15 are supported so the other line just provide another username/password pair that can be used to access the router.

Just to clarify you are referrring to the console connection at router boot time, or this happens also for telnet/SSH sessions on VTYs?

With the configuration provided by Georg all remote telnet/SSH sessions should ask for username/password and should allow to reach directly the router# prompt.

is the command login local supported undet line con 0 on the new router?

And last question can you tell us the new router model and IOS version it is running on it ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,

It is a Cisco 881 Router and it is using stable_c800-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M3.bin as IOS. The behaviour of the Router is same whether you try to do a SSH or a Console Connection. 

Thanks,

Vik.

Hello Vik,

can you check if aaa new-model is disabled ?

do

show run | inc new-model

if you see

aaa new-model

aaa new-model is enabled and you should issue

conf t

no aaa new-model

Note: all configuration proposed up to now are good for the case when aaa new-model is disabled.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Georg,

I am actually copying the configuration from the Old Cisco 881 Router to a new Cisco Router as we will be replacing the Old Router.

In the configuration of Old Router, i could see :

Though i copied the entire configuration on the new Router but in the new Router i can see:

username <myuser> privilege 15 secret 5 $1$9vck$octzFMH0.iBJl8sOdmY4E.

Could this second line (which was not supposed to be there) causing this issue and how should we delete/disable this second line. The Old Router is behaving perfectly fine that it asks for a Username and Password and after the credentials are typed in then it goes directly to the Privelage Mode.

So, kindly advise accordingly.

Thanks,

Vik.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card