Views
Helpful
Replies

inbound and oubound through router

pinkheart
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I Have intenrnet through sattelite , the sattalite use two different path one for transmition and the other for recieving ,

Satalite dish --> DVB--> switch ( for inbound data)

Satallite dish --> Sattelite modem--> Router (Cisco 1721) --> switch ( outbound DATA)

as you can notice the transmitted data only pass through the router . While the inbound data come directly to the switch and to my internal network.

I Wanted to use Cache server using WCCP protocol, therefore I need a way to make the inbound data pass through the router too.

Can I do that using the same router by adding another Ethernet module.

please I want your Idea but I need not to change my internal IPs structure .

I will attache a simple graph of the network the dashed blue line represent what I want.

Thanx in advance

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You could segment the switch with two vlans (say one for inside) and one where the Cache box will sit and the same vlan, you can drop an ethernet interface from the router (if it has an extra one) and have the cache server send data to the router.

Also, are you planning to send all inbound data through the router or just web data only ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

hi

thanx for your help .

I need a transparent caching , and the only way that can be achieved with my cache server is via WCCP , so the router must send all the HTTP traffic to the cache server.

I don't care if other traffic pass through the router all I want the router is to pass http traffic to the cache server using WCCP , but the problem as I discussed that only oubound traffic pass though the router .

Thanx again

Lets look at what model router you have, how many ethernet interfaces you have etc.

You will have to do some vlaning, and external inter vlan routing on the router's fast E so that internal traffic hits the router and from the router you can send it to Cache server.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Actually , now my router (Cisco 1721) have only one Ethernet inteface that goes to the switch and one serial interface that come from the modem but I have extra free module space , so I can buy another ethernt interface module , no problem.

By the way my switch is Cisco 3550 with SMI software , if that can help.

Thanx again

You can do this many different ways. Here are some of the options i can think of.

a. If you get the EMI version, 3550 can run WCCP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008014f37a.html

b. Get a second ethernet interface and inbound traffic to that interface of the router.

c. Use one vlan for inbound traffic, another vlan for inside network. Note that 3550 SMI can route traffic (Layer 3 switch). Then configure a trunk link between the Router and switch with sub interfaces configured for the above two vlans. Traffic coming in from DVB will be sent to the router and from there it will come back to the 3550.

You can look at some Intervlan configs here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card