Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN Routing for IEC 61850

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this query.  I'm in the process of configuring two CGS2520 switches located in two electrical substations.  Each of these switches have Protection Relays and Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) connected to them.  These devices communicate with each other as follows:

IEC 61850 GOOSE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Substation_Events

IEC 61850 MMS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_61850

- Protection Relay to Protection Relay communication within either substation (Using IEC 61850 GOOSE - VLAN 11 and VLAN 21)

- Protection Relay to Protection Relay communication between substations (Using IEC 61850 GOOSE - VLAN 50)

- RTU to Protection Relay (Using IEC 61850 MMS - VLAN 10 and VLAN 20)

I've attached an image (hope that clears things out).  Basically GOOSE traffic is VLAN tagged and and the MMS traffic is untagged.

cisco_support_1.png

I need to be able to route between VLAN 10 and VLAN 20 between the substations and I want to allow VLAN 50 between the substations.  How do I go about configuring this?

So far I've configured the interfaces as follows:

Switch A2:

Fa0/5 and Fa0/7 (Protection Relay Ports)

port type nni

switchport trunk native vlan 10

switchport trunk allowed vlan 11, 50

switchport mode trunk

Fa0/3 (RTU Port)

port type nni

switchport access vlan 10

Switch B1

Fa0/4 and Fa0/5 (Protection Relay Ports)

port type nni

switchport trunk native vlan 20

switchport mode allowed vlan 21, 50

switchport mode trunk

Fa0/3 (RTU Port)

port type nni

switchport access vlan 20

Locally at each substation this seems to work (I can ping the Protection Relays from the RTU port and the Protection Relays send each other GOOSE messages).  However I don't know how to configure the inter vlan routing (I want to be able to ping a Protection Relay Substation B from the RTU Port at Substation A) at  and how to configure the switch interfaces that connect to each other?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Darsh

5 Replies 5

aliverruck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello DarshanaD,

Could you fix this? Im asking because I have the same problem right now.

I'll appreciated if you can tell me how did you configure the inter VLAN routing.

Thanks

Ali

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

We used Switch Virtual Interface on each CGS2520 to implement inter VLAN routing.

Thanks,

Darsh

Hello, 

i have a question about your topology, you configured your protection relay ports on mode trunk, why? protection relays are devices to mode access? and why did u configure NNI in the ports? 

Thanks,

Alejandro

Hello sir,

I know is late post but can you show us your configi have a similar situation and i have a problem.

thanks

Best Regards

zappo0305
Level 1
Level 1

do u have to use goose protocol supported switches (IE)? Can you use normal switches like 2960x?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card