Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Counters ?????

afzaalq007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am chking interface counter on daily basis .

i have senn my seiral intfaces alots of reset ... i am asking about the this interface rest is it Logically...

if phycialyy than we can see in LOG of routers,

thanks

waiting for ur reply/

7 Replies 7

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi friend,

Interface reset is not logical.Its the number of times you interface has physically went down. This is a physical layer issue.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi,

Any suggestion or guide line far this that interface went physiaclly down,

what are the main reasons behind this??? and how we can control them,

and In roouter LOG i havt senn any enty aboout the this counter .. LOG is enable.

Thanks for the replay..

Hi Friend,

As Amit stated interface reset can be caused by link going up and down , that could be one possible reason for interface reset.

It can also happen if packets queued for transmission were not sent within several seconds' time.

On a serial line, this can be caused by a malfunctioning modem that is not supplying the transmit clock signal, or by a cable problem. If the system notices that the carrier detect line of a serial interface is up, but the line protocol is down, it periodically resets the interface in an effort to restart it.

Interface resets can also occur when an interface is looped back or shut down.

So it is not necessary that you get it in logs cause not necessarily the physical interface might have flapped.

So you can check if there any output drops or you can als check the cabling or your modem also.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi,

Thanks for the Ans.

I ahve noticed in last 48 hrs my router Ds3 interaces reset 9 times, and E3 interface reset its self 6 time ,

according to ur ans there is problem Ds3 card . or E1 card or there is problemm in Cable physical media,

thanks for the Ans

Hi Friend,

I think problem can be with cable physical media.

Do you also see some other errors on the interfaces?

Ankur

Hi

yes other detail is detail

on Ds-3

Total output drops 16349

CRC 21641

input error 21641

out out erro 0

reset 9

on E-3

Total output drops 1549105

CRC 0

input error 0

out put erro 0

reset 6

Thanks for replying

Hi Friend,

As seen there are many other errors on DS3 interface which can be sue to physical cabling issue so please check your cabling.

On E3 card there are no such errors other than many output drops which can be due to your QOS configuration and interface reset can occur if packets queued for transmission were not sent within several seconds' time. So check you QOS configuration also if you have any.

I will appreciate if you rate all helpfull posts.

Regards,

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card