cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip sla question

amusil
Level 1
Level 1

I am using ip sla and tracking objects to implement a backup internet connection. I was wondering if it is possible to have ip sla ping 2 different ip addresses and if either one fails then have it remove the tracked route? Right now I have it pinging 1 address and it works great, but was hoping I could set it up to ping 2 different ones.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ruchir Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Amusil,

You could definitely ping two ip addresses and if anyone fails you could remove the tracked route. Here is what you have to do:

1. Create two IP SLA probes to monitor the two ip address. Let us say these probes are are IP SLA 1 and IP SLA 2.

2. Create two track objects which would track these two IP SLA objects. Let us say you created two track objects 1 and 2.

3. Create a third track object (track 3) and make it as a list with AND operation. Add track 1 and track 2 to this track 3 as objects. Now what this will do is if both the track objects 1 and 2 are up then only track 3 would be up but if any of the track objects (track 1 or track 2) goes down, this track 3 will go down. You could also use OR operation.

4. Use this third track object in tracking.

Here is a small example comfig:

!

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 192.168.1.1
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
ip sla 2
icmp-echo 192.168.1.2
ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now

!

track 1 rtr 1
!
track 2 rtr 2
!
track 3 list boolean and
object 1
object 2
!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.1.1 track 3

==============================================

Here you could see if track 2 would go down track 3 would also go down:

*Feb 22 15:09:11 UTC: %TRACKING-5-STATE: 2 rtr 2 state Up->Down
*Feb 22 15:09:12 UTC: %TRACKING-5-STATE: 3 list boolean and Up->Down

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,

Ruchir

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ruchir Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Amusil,

You could definitely ping two ip addresses and if anyone fails you could remove the tracked route. Here is what you have to do:

1. Create two IP SLA probes to monitor the two ip address. Let us say these probes are are IP SLA 1 and IP SLA 2.

2. Create two track objects which would track these two IP SLA objects. Let us say you created two track objects 1 and 2.

3. Create a third track object (track 3) and make it as a list with AND operation. Add track 1 and track 2 to this track 3 as objects. Now what this will do is if both the track objects 1 and 2 are up then only track 3 would be up but if any of the track objects (track 1 or track 2) goes down, this track 3 will go down. You could also use OR operation.

4. Use this third track object in tracking.

Here is a small example comfig:

!

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 192.168.1.1
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
ip sla 2
icmp-echo 192.168.1.2
ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now

!

track 1 rtr 1
!
track 2 rtr 2