cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC activation

sarenos2006
Level 1
Level 1

have 2 Cisco 2651 and I'm trying to configure a IPsec tunnel between them, but when I try to use the command crypto in the configure terminal doesn´t exists, Is not possible by default the configuration of IPsec in all the routers? Do I need a license or something like that? How can I know if my router support IPsec? I have Cisco IOS 12.4

regards

4 Replies 4

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Always a good place to check these kind of issues:

cisco feature navigator

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

But, I think you do need special IOS feature set to run IPSEC tunnels (IPSec VTI - Virtual Tunnel Interface Ipsec Virtual Interface provides a routable interface for terminating ipsec tunnels).

Always add the complete information for your router's IOS, including it's feature set.

Vlad

From a platform perspective certainly the 2651 supports IPSec. And 12.4 certainly supports IPSec. Vlad is quite correct to point at the importance of feature set in addition to version. Some feature sets do support IPSec (especially the AdvancedSecurity and AdvancedServices) and some do not (especially IP BASE, IP PlUS). When the original poster says that he attempts crypto commands and they are not supported, it is a good indication that he is running a feature set that does not support IPSec.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes I'm trying crypto commands unsuccessfully, the platform is a cisco 2651 with Cisco IOS 12.4

So, What can I do to get this funcionality? Can I upgrade? Which solution do you suggest ?

regards

You still have not told us what feature set you are running. So we are still guessing that the problem is that the code you are running does not support crypto or IPSec. Assuming that is true then you could upgrade your code to a version and a feature set that do support crypto and IPSec. You should be able to use the Feature Navigator or the Software Advisor on CCO to identify an appropriate version and feature set.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card