cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it a Cisco router problem or Windows 7 problem

osekgarametso
Level 1
Level 1

I ve just finished setting up my first serial connections between two sites using Cisco 1800 routers. I can make connections from Site A to Site B using Windows XP clients, eg accessing exchange server 2007 running on Windows 2003x64, but the main problem is that when I try to configure Windows 7 clients to connect to exchange server on the other site, I can't make connections , no ping, no ssh , no http.

I wonder if the problem is Cisco router or Windows 7 ???

What amuses me more is that I can connect to Windows 2008 servers using both Windows XP and 7.

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is your firewall on under Windows 7? Are the gateways the same on both OSs?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The Win 7 firewall is off, and I ve setup the Cisco router as DHCP , so all clients ( Win XP / 7 ) gets the same network configurations.

Can you ping the gateway from the Windows 7 box? If so, can you ping the egress interface on that same router from a W7 host? Are there vlans involved?

Yes I can ping the gateway ( 192.168.3.200), what is egress ? there are no vlans involved. The exchange server (Win2003) is on another network of (192.168.1.0/24), I can ping and access it using WinXP from 192.168.3.0 network. I am thinking about quickly configuring a Linux client and make some test using different O/S versions. Will get back with the results.

Egress is the outbound interface...

So your gateway is 192.168.3.200 and your Windows 7 host is 192.168.3.x w/ a gateway of 200? Is the mask /24? How are you routing across the link: dynamic protocol vs static? Can you post the config of your router? Is there a firewall between the sites?

So far, because the XP hosts can get to the other side, it doesn't sound like a routing issue at all....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card