Views
Helpful
Replies

local network to wan help

lahman1
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning All,

I am running into some issues with my home network. I have gig internet from cox and the modem router combo they gave me isnt a great router. so i was trying to set up a layer 3 switch to act as an interim router and connect my own WAP to that switch. come to find out the cable modem/router doesn't support dynamic routing protocols so i went to configure a static route and i cant inside the modem/router. i was doing some research into putting it into bridge mode but i don't know how that works with a Cisco device? also i would then lose NAT. so next option would be just buy another router, put the modem/router in bridge mode and then go from there. so how does a modem bridge with a Cisco device if i was to buy a Cisco router for studying but to actually use if i have to or just buy like a TP-Link router and add a static back to my network.

I also tried doing a no switchport on my L3 switch to make it a router port, and from the switch i can ping google (8.8.8.8) but from a device i cant?

2 Replies 2

Hello,

if you put your modem in bridge mode, your Cisco will do the NAT. Which Cisco model do you have ?

Post the configuration, so we can fill in the necessary bits and pieces...

so i currently don't own a Cisco gig router, i wouldn't mind getting one but the switch I have is a 3560X with IP base. That switch doesn't support NAT. I am wondering do I get a Cisco gig router will that work with cable modem bridge mode? or just get a net-gear or TP-Link router and just use my 3560X as a switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card