Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Might Have Bricked 4331 ISR

So I was setting up a fresh Cisco 4331 ISR and changed the line vty 0 15 to have priv 15 and forgot to actually setup a username/password before unplugging the console cable. So fast forward about an hr's time after I got done configuring the switch I attached to it, and all I see is "Router>". I tried doing "en" to enable it, but with no luck with the device saying "No password set". In this state I did what every net admin does and googled how to password reset Cisco 4331 ISR and it stated to do a break sequence on boot. Here's where the fun begin. I'm using putty and tried all break sequences listed on Cisco's website https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/12818-61.html and while I'm sure they work, while I'm consoled in I see no boot sequence it just eventually ends up on "Press RETURN to get started!" after a long black screen. I tried ctrl + c, ctrl + ], ctrl + ] - send brk, physically pressing break key and using putty special break command, ect. At this point I'm at a loss as I cannot get into rommon to reset the password/give it a new one any help is appreciated.

17 Replies 17

i have the same router and using the software 

when the router boots up i can use break key without any broblems and enter rommon mode

try again

what key sequence you enter ?

esc key or ctrl +c ?

s-l500.jpg

try using this cable instead of the rj45

keep it connected to router

adjust the connection to be serial com3 leave every thing else as is

connect and then power off router

then power on once it is starting to display the details of boot

use break key and this will let you enter rommon mode

Thanks I'll give this a try when a shop opens up as I don't have one on hand. SAMEHELSAMMAK I tried a whole bunch ctrl + c was one of them, but I didn't try esc as it wasn't one of the cisco break sequence commands (I'll give it a try).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card