Views
Helpful
Replies

Native VLAN not passing through access ports

ahmed-531
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a interconnection of 3 already deployed switches. the interface between switch 1 and 2  has been configured as a trunk and the interface between switch 2 and 3 as access port.

The problem is my native vlan 1 is not passing through my access ports which i have to use for management purposes also.

Thanks for the help in advance.

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey could you post some outputs maybe the show int trunk from each switch and the show spanning-tree summary , switch should never stop passing vlan 1 as its the control vlan for the switch that handles cdp and stp traffic etc so even when you shut the int vlan down, vlan 1 at L2 should always operates

Hi Mark,

I am currently not in the Data Center, but the situation was:

3 switches interconnected ,with one another, 1 & 2 having trunk link between them and 2 and 3 having access interface. 

i was not allowed to(Rules) :

-Change/Modify the native vlan 1 although it was not communicating on the switch 1 and 2 which had the trunk interface.

-Or make the access interface to trunk as it was not allowed by the SP.

Could you please provide me with a solution to make another VLAN and converge it to the access ports on switch 3 for management and also keeping in mind the rules mentioned above.

-

Also the switches wee 2960

You have not provided much information about this environment. But it seems likely that the access ports that connect switch 2 and 3 are assigned to a vlan that is different from vlan 1. In that case it is expected behavior that vlan 1 traffic will not be forwarded from switch 2 to switch 3. I believe that there are several alternatives for how you could fix this:

- you could change the ports that connect these switches and make then trunk ports.

- if you can not make them trunk ports then perhaps you could change their configuration so that they were access ports in vlan 1.

- if you can not make them access ports in vlan 1 then perhaps you could allocate another pair of ports on the switches and make a second connection between switches and make these ports access ports in vlan 1.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard & Mark,

I just got another issue to discuss..:)

I have a network design of a Hotel,considering the Core, Distribution and Access Design, and using ZYXEL Switches in our core.

The Setup is : Main Core Switch (MS-7206S) and Backup Core Switch (MS-7206S) which are Link Aggregated (Etherchannel in Cisco); having two links into one link aggregation

ISSUE:

The backup Core switch does not take over incase the Main core Switch fails/crashes.

Please can you provide me with an idea of what possible could the issues be and their solution

Thanks in advance

Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card