cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need help - adding another 3800 router to an existing setup

angfe.landagan
Level 1
Level 1

hi, would like to know implications/requisites on my setup.

I have a working 3800 router which runs on bgp pretty well. Existing setup has 2 serial ports for the bgp and 1 gigabit port for the LAN.

Now, i want to add another 3800 as a standby router making it clustered - ACTIVE/STANDBY via hsrp protocol.

1.) What are the implications in adding another 3800. Do i need to reconfigure the ip addresses on my serial? or just the LAN

2.) Are there any additional requirements like firmware versions etc?

appreciate your help.

more power.

TIA

A

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Angfe,

1) you should move one serial interface on the new router keeping the current IP addresses of the serial link.

On the LAN side: the current IP address on LAN interface of alreafy running C3800 has to become the VIP addres of the HSRP group, two additional IP addresses from the same IP subnet are needed on the LAN interfaces of the two routers both the ports have to be connected to the same broadcast domain.

You need also to configure tracking and preemption to make a complete HSRP configuration.

If eBGP is used on both serial links an iBGP session between the two C3800 routers is to be preferred.

2) the feature set must support BGP and HSRP. Using the same version of IOS image on both routers is a good idea

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card