cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new ipblock

hebertjoe
Level 1
Level 1

we currently have a /29 ipbock with our isp.  we just ordered more ip's and have received a /28 block of ip's.  i have currently have a cisco asa 5505 using a static ip off the /29.  i am not familiar with setting up an additional subnet to work from an isp over the existing one.  any suggestion where i can read up on this and can i use my asa 5505 to make new statics work?

1 Reply 1

Luke Oxley
Level 1
Level 1
hebertjoe,

Thanks for your post. Providing that your ISP has done their job correctly and added the routes in on their end, there should be nothing to action your end other than adding in your NAT rules or adding these new addresses into a NAT pool - there does not need to be a layer 3 anchor on your end for this new block of IPs.
Your ISP should now have a route in their core to say if you wish to get to the /28, then route to the ISP routers address on the /29. They will then need a route on the ISP router to route the traffic destined for the /28 to the outside address of the firewall, which is part of your existing /29. After this, you'll be able to create NAT statements and use NAT pools for this new /28 without issue.
I hope that helps and makes sense.

Kind regards,
Luke Oxley

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card