Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no mpls ip ttl propogate

Is it sufficient to configure the command "no mpls ip propagate-ttl" in the CE  router in a MPLS VPN CE to ignore all hops traversed by the MPLS packet in the  network? or is it required to be configured in all routers in the egde and core  of the provider network?

The output is required is that when a customer  runs a traceroute from one CE to the other CE, no service provider hops should  be visible to them.

6 Replies 6

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi sandhya,

this command is required in every hop of ISP router if that provider want that none of the hop being visible to his

customer if that customer runs traceroute.

you may refer to below blog for more details

http://blog.ipexpert.com/2009/11/25/mpls-ip-ttl-propagation/

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

mahesh.gohil wrote:

Hi sandhya,

this command is required in every hop of ISP router if that provider want that none of the hop being visible to his

customer if that customer runs traceroute.

you may refer to below blog for more details

http://blog.ipexpert.com/2009/11/25/mpls-ip-ttl-propagation/

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

Mahesh,

This command is required on the PE devices only as they copy the IP TTL to MPLS TTL (ingress PE) and vice versa (egress PE).

Atif

meperuma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , as mentioned by Atif, all you need is disable the TTL propagation on the PEs

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Atif,

This command is required on the PE devices only as they copy the IP TTL to MPLS TTL (ingress PE) and vice versa (egress PE).

for me PE means hop of ISP provider.

Regards

Mahesh

mahesh.gohil wrote:

Hello Atif,

for me PE means hop of ISP provider.

Regards

Mahesh

Hello Mahesh,

The reason I mentioned it was that you said it is required on 'every hop' of ISP. I just wanted to clarify that it is only required on the PE devices. If we are on the same page then all is good :- ).

Atif

ohh I see! the meaning is to PE and not P routers.

thanks for clarification

Regards

Mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card