cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No need to have static route?

cisco_synthego
Level 1
Level 1

May be this is a dumb question but I just want to know to clear out my mind. We have cisco asa and we have two building connecting to each other through site to site vpn. Building A has 2 ISP ATT and Comcast. Comcast is primary internet provider not ATT is down (Everything is setup but its deactivated now). There is only one static route to ATT and I just wonder why we still have internet when all traffic goes to non-working gateway. Or we do not need to configure outside static route at all or we have internet because we have site to site vpn with building B?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

It's difficult to answer your question without knowing your config.
You must have a default route for being able to access internet and build a L2L VPN. You can also have a specific static route for you L2L VPN and tunnel everything from site A to B which means A could access internet through B ISP.

But again, I'm just assuming something I don't know. If you share your config we'll be able to answer with facts.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card