Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF areas

Hi ,

I am confused in this because every other article have different views on this.

1. How many OSPF areas i can configure on 1 ABR ?   i have L3 switch C3850 i need to configure on this device ,how many could be Possible. ?

2. How many routers per area i can configure on same switch ?

Thanks in advance 

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The reason that there are different views, as possible answers for both your questions, because there are many variables involved.  Some of the important variables include: how "powerful" a control plane processor the OSPF device has, the number of links within the area, the number of routes, topology stability, how OSPF is configured, and the actual OSPF implementation.  Additionally, for Cisco OSPF, there are some tuning options that impact OSPF operation.

Some old rules of thumb use to be no more than 3 areas on an ABR and no more than fifty "routers" per area, but on modern equipment, these can often be safety exceeded, even by quite a bit.

Thanks for your reply Joseph , i am using L3 Switch 3850 as i mentioned so how  can figure out  how may areas i can use on this device.

I have total 90 L3 Switches to be connected to this ABR to be divided into OSPF areas.

sorry its 140 L3 switches

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You've provided insufficient information.

But, to word it another way, even if you could provide all the information I might ask for, there's not an easy way, of which I'm aware, to answer your question.  Again, that's the reason why your research has found different views and no definite answers!

Best answer you might obtain, on these forums, if you provide much more information about you equipment and topology, someone might have something similar and they can share their experience.

As per my Topology i have L3 switch 3850 at my main office ,Which is connected by 3 1 GB link to ATM network 

--------------------- Siemens L3 SW-- L2 SW

---------------------                           ------------------- Siemens L3 SW-- L2 SW

C3850 SW   ---------------------    ATM Network --------------------Siemens L3 SW-- L2 SW

----------------------                         --------------------- Siemens L3 SW-- L2 SW

--------------------- Siemens L3 SW-- L2 SW

connectivity between C3850 and Siemens L3 Switch is through Vlan . And OSPF neighborship is created over that.Every L3 Siemens Sw have different Lan Segment .Like this i have 140 Siemens Switches which i have to connect to C3850.

On other side of c3850 is area 0 ,Now i have to divide 140 L3 switches into different area for connectivity.So my question was  as C3850 act as ABR how many maximum areas i can make on c3850 and in 1 area how many L3 device i can put.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card