Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF performance

mautez_mah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , 
as all know that there is the main factor whether to add all routers 50 or more in one Area or add a different area 

the factor is whether routers capability and Hardware are able to handle routes and able to handle all flooding that happens when any link has disconnected and connected again 
now the question is: how will now if router able to handle let's say _ 50 routers in one area _ how can check if we add more and more routers the performance will not be impact 
I know many of routers ( new routers ) are able to handle but how can we confirm that , how can we say we can add 150 routers in one area , 
where can find this info , 

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would say that information is unavailable because it depends on many, many factors.  Even the "50" routers per area can be a WAG.

BTW, I've seen an Enterprise OSPF topology, with less than 50 routers, go into OSPF meltdown due to a flapping link.  This though was on Brand X L3 switches (sort of the equivalent of 6500s with Cat 1s).  Cisco's OSPF implementation has multiple features to help avoid such situations (and back then, before their iSFP feature too).

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would prefer to make small areas for better optimal results, rather than flooding all over in area 0, so easy to control.

But use case of cisco one of the document provided that 300 routers in area 0, i never had that bg deployment, seen 30maximum and next 30 in different areas.

below  cisco Press  show some 300 router area 0 (cant believe it but looks like fact)

https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1763921&seqNum=6

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card