Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF router-id

Hi All,

I am in a strange situation here. I understand that the highest IP address assigned to any interface becomes the router-id and it gets beaten by the loop back even if the ip is lower. Please let me know if I am wrong.

But here I am not able to find that out. I have two routers

R1

===============

Router(config)#do sh ip int bri

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0/0            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   

FastEthernet0/1            unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   

Serial1/0                  10.10.13.1      YES manual up                    down   

Serial1/1                  10.10.12.1      YES manual up                    up     

Serial1/2                  unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   

Serial1/3                  unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down   

Loopback1                  1.1.1.1         YES manual up     up

Router(config)#do sh run | s ospf

router ospf 10

log-adjacency-changes

network 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

network 10.10.12.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

network 10.10.13.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

R2

=========

Router(config)#

*Mar  1 00:09:40.999: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 10, Nbr 10.10.13.1 on Serial1/0 from LOADING to FULL, Loading Done

The router-id still seems to be the higher IP address configured on physical interfaces. Any reason why?

Cheers!

Ravi

16 Replies 16

Hi Peter,

Yes, you are right. I manually added the router-id manually and did the clear ip ospf process. It shows instantly. But if I add an loopback interface once the router ID has already been decided clearing IP ospf process does not change the router ID. only way is to reboot the applaince.

thanks and cheers!

Ravindra

Thanks Rick.

Cheers!

Ravi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card