Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV and a Layer 2 Link ?

Hi guys

We have a new DC, spine leaf, and extended OTV to the Border leaf. From the old DC, the core connects to otv vdc, and is transported across.. no issues..

The old DC core, also has another l2 link (trunk), which is a legacy connection to the new DC. this was a temp setup which was built, but as expected many PROD servers also moved to this setup. This is not connected to the EVPN / VXLAN fabric as of now. 

My question is - if we connect this legacy network in the new DC to border leaf, we will have 2 L2 connections from old to new DC - one through OTV, and other thro this L2 link. I hope spanning tree is not an issue here, but how will the mac addresses be learnt between OTV L2, and L2 trunk operating parallelly ?

2 Replies 2

Muhammad Uzair
Level 1
Level 1

usually there is layer 2 tunneling as in spine and leaf this is the way to communicate for layer 2 however I found very good document from Cisco, hope that will help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/white-paper-c11-737022.html 

Kindest regards,

uzzi.

Kindest regards,
Uzair
CCENT, CCNA (R&S), CCNP (R&S).

I was able to open the doc.. This question is nothing to do with spine leaf architecture. thats done. 

since it is legacy L2, it will still remain parallel with OTV. from DC's we will have 2 paths - one L2, and another OTV L2 extension.. wanted to see what L2 issues we will have with such a setup

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card