Views
Helpful
Replies

Preserve ToS value in DMVPN over MPLS transport

NAGISWAREN2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

We designing hybrid WAN network (MPLS + Internet) for one of our client. My question is simple. Does the ToS value preserved after packet get encapsulated in GRE over IPSec(DMVPN) when sent to provider network ? This because, our MPLS provider do provides 4 class of service. And we want to utilize QOS service within Provider network as well , so that it becomes end-to-end QOS. 

Nagis

Regards, Nagis
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nagis,

I believe you will need to ask your Service Provider whether the DSCP markings of IP packets traversing its network will be transparently carried across.

To my best knowledge, when a router adds a new IP header as a result of encapsulating a packet (IP into GRE, GRE into IPsec), it will copy the inner DSCP value to the outer DSCP value. Therefore, as far as tunneling is concerned, the DSCP value should be preserved. The handling of the DSCP values in your provider's core is a question that only your SP can fully answer.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nagis,

I believe you will need to ask your Service Provider whether the DSCP markings of IP packets traversing its network will be transparently carried across.

To my best knowledge, when a router adds a new IP header as a result of encapsulating a packet (IP into GRE, GRE into IPsec), it will copy the inner DSCP value to the outer DSCP value. Therefore, as far as tunneling is concerned, the DSCP value should be preserved. The handling of the DSCP values in your provider's core is a question that only your SP can fully answer.

Best regards,
Peter

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Peter describes, Cisco equipment has, for some time, copies original packet's ToS to the encapsulated header's ToS.

What you might run into, your ToS might need mapping into your provider's ToS.  I don't recall whether that can be done on the device that does the encapsulation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card