cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Cisco Router 851

calinoiusergiu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i`ve tried to bypass password for my 851 router, i`ve entred in rommon I introduced the confreg 0x2142 command and reset command, now my router look weird. I attach a print screen. What can i do? Thanx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu,

You cannot access the console now so the only option is to try all possible supported speeds in your PuTTY. Make sure it is configured as follows:

• Data bits: 8
  • Parity: None
  • Stop bit: 1
  • Flow control: None
  • Speed: One of 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200

You will need to go over all these speeds, setting it, then hitting Enter a number of times to see if the router starts responding properly, and if not, try another one from the list.

When you find the proper speed, correcting the configuration register depends on what mode are you in. If you are in IOS you will need to enter the following commands in the global config mode:

config-register 0x2102
line con 0
 speed 9600

The reason is that the config-register in IOS does not touch the bits in the configuration register that modify the console speed. The console speed can only be corrected in the line con 0 section.

If you are still in ROMMON then simply enter the confreg 0x2102 command. In ROMMON, you can set the entire configuration register at once.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Issue seems to be with baud rate.

Check what is the baud rate set in the router and try the consol access with that baud rate or can manually set it

This discussion has been reposted from Additional Communities to the WAN, Routing and Switching community.

I access the router via console, I can not check the baud rate set in the router

Try the steps which peter has suggested. try to take consol with all the baud rate setting

Eric Rickard
Level 1
Level 1

make sure your baud rate is set to 9600 and Flow Control to 'Xon/Xoff'

baud rate is 9600 and flow control in 'Xon/Xoff', i tried with flow control none. I tried with another baud rate but the only change are hieroglyphics.

Sergiu,

You cannot access the console now so the only option is to try all possible supported speeds in your PuTTY. Make sure it is configured as follows:

• Speed: One of 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200

You will need to go over all these speeds, setting it, then hitting Enter a number of times to see if the router starts responding properly, and if not, try another one from the list.

When you find the proper speed, correcting the configuration register depends on what mode are you in. If you are in IOS you will need to enter the following commands in the global config mode:

config-register 0x2102
line con 0
 speed 9600

The reason is that the config-register in IOS does not touch the bits in the configuration register that modify the console speed. The console speed can only be corrected in the line con 0 section.

If you are still in ROMMON then simply enter the confreg 0x2102 command. In ROMMON, you can set the entire configuration register at once.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Peter

calinoiusergiu
Level 1
Level 1

it`s works with this settings

• Speed: 19200