cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with 857

BrazzanCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Was wondering if anyone could help me fugure out whats wrong with our 857 router. We wanter to upgrade our network with some vpn options, and chose the 857 router (none wlan). The problem is that we dont get an IP from our ISP. When we talk to the ISP they say that they have connection with the router, but for some reason the ip they send out doesnt stick.

We have the newest ios and the right settings(we think). Logicly, the problem seems to be something with the DHCP client thingy...

When debugging, the ISP and our router is communicating, but nothing more.

How do we continue our troubleshooting? Any ideas what the problem can be? What config should I have regarding the dhcp client protocol?

19 Replies 19

What is there at the "remote place", another router, or anything like that ?

No, it's just a server (win2k). We just want to get access to the local network so that we can run a cpl of .bat files. These files will map upp specifik network disks. These disks contain different databases for different programs. On the remote pc they will use the client version of the programs, and get the database access through the vpn connection.

Cisco supports a variety of VPN schemes, however interworking with the microsoft ones is not easy and I would not recommended it.

Unless you are willing to learn how to do the above, perhaps the easier thing is that you used some microsoft VPN client or sw like logmein, to do VPN that without touching the router.

The alternative is that you get a router at the other site also, then configure a VPN or tunnel on which all your applications would work without you touching the PC and the server.

hmm. I didnt think it would be such a problem. All we want is to get a local IP from the dhcp server... thats basicly it. With that we can get access to our server and the applications.

Indeed it is a problem that amounts to choosing a VPN technique and configuring it.

I gave you above the summary choices (there are others), you have to pick one and implement it.

But it not automatic, in fact far from it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco