Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS for internet traffic

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are planning to apply QOS for internet traffic on our ISP routers. Does this help in improving the latency, jitter and delay for teams and webex calls and video? if so, pls help with the config. My internet circuit BW is 1Gig. Router model is ISR 4431.

Thanks,

Sridhar

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command "sh license feature".

sridharch_1-1683633780154.png

Ok, so throughput is enabled.  The question is "how much". 

Can you post the command "sh run | include throughput"?

4431 supports max 1G.

platform hardware throughput level 1000000

Hi

The throughput is the the sum of all ingress traffic (or the egress) except the traffic of management interface.

Be aware that your throughput level is 1Gbps and its shared between your upload and download, so you cant fully use your 1G of internet bandwidth. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Does this help in improving the latency, jitter and delay for teams and webex calls and video?"

Yes and no.  I.e. you can apply QoS on egress (to Internet), but, generally, there's often no option for QoS on ingress (from the Internet).  (If you're ISP[s] are willing, they could apply QoS for traffic sent to you, but most will not do this for you.  Most, though, will suggest obtaining more bandwidth from them.  [Which may, or may not, work for you.]  Personally, I've found having one Internet link only used by real-time traffic, and another for all other generic Internet traffic, works well.  [If your Internet supports VPN between your sites, you can "share/mix" kinds of traffic, using QoS, but again, not mixed with "generic" Internet traffic.])

hi Joseph,

thx for the reply. 60-70% of traffic today is  O365, Teams and webex. can u help with the config for egress traffic.

You might begin with:

Policy-map example

Class class-default

Fair-queue

Then

Interface gi#

Service-policy output example

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card