Helpful
Replies

Query for VRF and VLANs

fatalXerror
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

Good day!

I would like to ask if this is possible.

I have 2 ASRs, 2 N5Ks, and 2 N2Ks, the requirement is that in my 2 ASRs I need to configure multiple VRFs and in the N5K I need to configure VLANs.

My question is that, how does the N5Ks' knows which VRF to forward the traffic if let us say I am in VLAN 100?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have not told us whether the interfaces on the ASRs are just physical interfaces or whether they will be configured with subinterfaces for trunking. But in either case it should be fairly straightforward to establish the relationship between VRF and vlan. If the ASR is just a physical interface then the N5K interface will be configured as an access port in the proper vlan and the ASR interface will be configured in the appropriate VRF. And if the interfaces are trunking then the ASR will configure the subinterfaces and assign each subinterface to the appropriate VRF.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Good Day!

Sorry I'm new about advanced routing and switching since I'm much more aware about network security. Anyways, the link of the ASR to my N5Ks are via trunk links so what I decided is to configure a router-on-a-stick design then configure the trunk link with sub-interfaces and associate the VLAN configured in the N5Ks.

Now, I don't know how can I configure and associate the VLANs to the VRFs in the ASR.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card