Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about NAT on an ASA

Hello!  

I'm trying to wrap my head around NAT rules and how the system processes them.  I understand that the manual NAT section comes before the auto / object NAT section which comes before manual NATs that we deprioritize.  

WIthin each section, then, NAT rules are processed on a first-come basis, so, we put more specific NAT rules above more generic ones.  What happens when things have equal specificity?  Let's say I want to NAT an inside server to two different interfaces with different translated addresses?

1 Reply 1

Furthering my own thoughts here... 

Lets say I have the following (obviously this isn't proper syntax):

object network inside_subnet subnet 10.1.0.0/16

interface inside (10.1.0.0/16 range)

interface outside1 (number of private IP addresses)

interface outside2 (number of different private IP addresses)

Currently I'm NAT'ing into interface one as nat (inside,outside1) source static inside_subnet inside_subnet.  If I add a second line nat (inside,outside2) source static inside_subnet inside_subnet after the first it's going to be ignored because it matched the first line.  If I add the outside2 nat before outside1, then outside1 fails.  

Lightbulbs are starting to go off.  In each of those nat statements I should add the destination ranges too, something like:

nat (inside,outside1) source static inside_subnet inside_subnet destination static outside1_IP_ranges outside1_IP_ranges

nat (inside,outside2) source static inside_subnet inside_subnet destination static outside2_IP_ranges outside2_IP_ranges

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card