Views
Helpful
Replies

rate-limit and service-policy commands on same interface

turklandbank
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For a reason I need to apply rate-limit output AND service-policy output command to the same GRE tunnel interface.

I wonder which one applies first...

Thanks in advance. 

4 Replies 4

Hello,

why don't you put a policer in the same service policy ?

Hi,

IOS has some limitations with QoS on GRE tunnel interfaces.

Only 1 user-defined class as child service policy  which is  voice obviously can be defined and other traffic goes to parent default class.

What I need is to use service policy that has at least 2 user defined (acl based) classes of traffic + default class on a GRE tunnel interface.

Using the main interface of GRE tunnel for the service-policy output command and using qos pre-classify command under the tunnel interface,  does not count here. Because it has several GRE tunnels under itself. 

I am open to suggestions.

Regards.  

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I recall(?) the interface rate-limit takes precedence (but don't quote me). (Further recall, somewhere Cisco has a paper that documents command precedence.)

I also recall(?) on newer IOS versions, the interface commands for shape and/or rate-limit might no longer be available as either can be done via a service policy.

thanks for the answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: