cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router 1720 recovery

natalg123
Level 1
Level 1

with help from a new friend. I recovered my cisco image but i had to remove the wic in order for the image to transfer without errors stating that memory is insufficient. but after i took the card out image loaded no problem and i was in user mode, but when i put the wic back in and turn the router back on i get the same insufficient memory error. here is my output

Memory configuration adjustment:

Image size=23016732, PMem req=32223424, I/O mem=3354624, PMem avail=30199808

INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO LOAD IMAGE!

Please look at the Memory configuration adjustment messages.

The difference between PMem req and PMem avail is how much more memory you

need. A temporary workaround is to remove a WIC or a DSP module; this may

cause the I/O memory requirement to decrease, and may allow you to at least

use the router with reduced functionality until you get more memory.

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x200, context= 0x80006214

PC = 0xffffffff, Vector = 0x200, SP = 0xffffffff

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

I need a smaller bin file. I wanted to hook up my dsl to it. thanks for the help

jorge

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jorge

It is not clear what version and what feature set you are trying to run. But it is clear that the image that you are trying to run will not run with that WIC in the system. It looks like your choices are either to upgrade the memory in the 1720, or run that image without the WIC, or to find an image whose memory requirements are less and will run with the WIC in 32 meg of memory.

One important variable is the feature set that you choose. I have looked at the IOS upgrade planner and looked at 12.3 images. The only 12.3 image that I found that will work in 32 meg of memory is the IP only feature set. If you want to connect to DSL I am assuming that you need more than the IP only feature set. I did find a 12.2 image that might work. The 12.2(28) IP PLUS IPSEC feature set looks like it will run in 32 meg.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card