cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router does not ping LAN computers

nicis
Level 1
Level 1
Hello everybody, hope you doing well. I have a problem with my RV345 dual WAN router. I upgrated to latest firmware 1.0.03.22. My configuration is the following : IP of lan Pc1 : 192.168.8.253 IP of lan Pc2 : 192.168.8.129 firewall is disabled on both windows computers PC1 and PC2. Vlan1 IP of the router : 192.168.8.239. WAN1 Ip : 192.168.9.10. WAN1 Ip : 192.168.10.10. Both Pc can connect to internet via the router. BUT: PC1 can ping PC2. PC2 cannot ping PC1. On the cisco router, when I try to ping PC1 or PC2 ip, I get “ping failed” error. I never try this test before upgrading the firmware, so I'm not sure if it is related. I read the release notes, I did not find any reason to believe it. Why computers and the router within 192.168.8.* are not completely visible? Hope you understand the problem. Do not hesitate if you need more info. Many thanks in advance nicolas
5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From PC 1 and PC2 are you able to ping  192.168.8.239 ?

from PC1 and PC2 post ipconfig /all output ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

I seem to recall that the internal firewall is blocking these ICMP requests. In order to verify that, temporarily disable the firewall (Firewall > Basic Settings, page 73 of the attached guide).

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Administration/EN/b_RV340x_AG.pdf

Then again, it could also be the (Windows) firewall on your PCs blocking these requests, so to be sure that this is not the problem, temporarily disable that on your PCs as well.

Hello

@nicis wrote:
IP of lan Pc1 : 192.168.8.253
IP of lan Pc2 : 192.168.8.129
Vlan1 IP of the router : 192.168.8.239.

As you have the two pc and the rtr in the same subnet then how how are both pcs physcally connecting to the rtr because in this instance routing between those two pcs shouldnt occur as it would be all at a switching level (L2) so can you confirm do both pcs have the same subnet mask and are they assigned to the same vlan?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

nicis
Level 1
Level 1

hi every body

thanks for your remarks

now every thing is ok

the problem was not on source side (router) but on the destination side (windows with Hyper-V + defender + firewall)

for some reason I dont find, even when the firewall is disabled for public, private, domain traffic, the firewall was still "enable"

I make tests with hyper-v stopped , I delete virtual networks, so the computer has just the one network card with 1 IP.

Even here, the ping was not working.

we find out that it is impossible to disable defender and the windows firewall is very related to it

some people find that the only solution to disable defender is to install a 3d part antivirus and then deinstall  it.

the fact that you install/deinstall another antivirus will disable automatically defender.

so, I installed windows again and now, every thing is running

anyway, many thanks for your help

the only solution was to reinstall the server

good feedback, nice to know all good.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card