Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Priority of Routing between EIGRP vs IPSec Tunnel

effing_society
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all networking experts,

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer online, therefore I have to create one.

In my case, I have 2 routers, connected between an EIGRP primary route and IPSec VPN tunnel as a backup link. Now, I would like to know which route has the highest priority first, therefore I did a tracert testing, and ok the traffic went to EIGRP frame relay route first, if I turn the EIGRP interface off, then VPN Tunnel works. Everything seems normal.

But, as I am using default route for the VPN Tunnel configuration, I was wondering, isn't that the static route has lower administrative value than the EIGRP? If so, why is my router using EIGRP as my primary link? To be specific, I didn't explicitly configure any administrative value for these routings.

I have did some googling and I found a similar article, but it just doesn't make sense to me that EIGRP will be prioritize over Static Route. Link is below:

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Likely because your EIGRP routes are more specific, to known destinations, than your IPSec using a default route.

effing_society
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joseph,

Any chance you can explain in a more detailed way with an example?

Many appreciated!

http://www.routeralley.com/guides/routing_table.pdf

Take particular note of "prefix-length".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card