Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Selection

Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice.

i,m task with splitting a company network into two separate sites.  However, since starting, the goal posts have been slightly moved.  They now need to temporarily router traffic (simple application data) between these sites.  So i have two L2 switches (one for each sites subnet) with gigabit ethernet ports. I need something "decent" that will handle the typical application traffic from a few users over this temporary period.  Not expecting switch rate speeds, but something that is workable for the end users.  Obviously don,t want to break the bank as well.  I understand without detailed info, it's difficult to say, but just looking for a general generic recommendation of a decent router that could handle this.  I had an old 1600 in stock which I stuck in, and is running at the moment. Alright when rdping, not so good when trying to route some native applications over this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice !!!

6 Replies 6

Hello,

depending on what ISP connection you have (ADSL/VDSL/Ethernet), one of the 800 series routers will probably be more than sufficient. They are also fairly cheap, since they are apparently being phased out in favor of the newer 900 series.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cisco+800&rlz=1C1TIGY_enNL724NL724&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKv_Pc9NviAhUNLVAKHc3hB9wQ_AUIESgC&biw=1536&bih=754

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ian,

without some more info about the needed performance for example 100 Mbps and if this is a temporary need I would suggest sonething like a Cisco 2911 or Cisco 2921.

They are not the latest platforms but should have some still some support from Cisco.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Martin L
VIP
VIP

how many users? how much traffic to go over to other side? how much to Internet and where is ISP located (shared by 2 sites or separate).
2800s are old and cheap. ebay for under $50 but u will have no Cisco support.

Hi Guys,

Thanks advice. As i have physical access to both switches, the connection is over ethernet. I,ll have a quick look online and see what fits the budget.

Thanks again

I really like the 1111-8P.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-739512.html

They replaced the Cisco 800 series.  If you are just doing routing they'll flat line a Gigabit circuit.  They are also very reasonably priced.

Have you considered using a L3 switch (LAN or MetroE variety)? They offer much, more performance per dollar.

Cisco's older ISRs often do not have sufficient performance to support wire-speed Ethernet beyond 10 Mbps Ethernet.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card