Views
Helpful
Replies

router sizing/models for network design

priedman1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are setting up a network for our Venezuela office location. The main office (approx 50-75 users) will connect to 5 Venezuelan branch offices (15-30 users each) via VPN tunnels. The main Venezuela office will also connects to our corporate headquarters in the US, Germany, and Brazil for applications (AD, SAP, Lotus Notes, etc) via VPN as well.

Currently, all routing in Venezuela is performed using Windows servers. Currently routing between Venezuela and the US/German/Brazilian offices is via a Cisco 1721 (Venezuela) and bigger Cisco boxes in US/Germany/Brazil.

The Internet connection at each "branch office" is aDSL (not sure of the speed) and the main Venezuela office has a 512K frame-relay connection to the Internet.

I am looking for some advice on which Cisco routers to recommend for the job. I was thinking about keeping the existing 1721 in the main Venezuelan office. It is running 12.2(8)T5, has 59MB of DRAM and a VPN module. I was thinking of implementing a Cisco 1721 as well at the Venezuela branch offices as well but want to make sure that I recommend routers with enough horsepower.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Pete

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I would recommend using a better router at the head office, atleast something like a 2800 series router with Advanced security services IOS, which will enable onboard encryption on the motherboard. You can keep the 1721s with the AIM at each remote site, or trade in the 1700s for an 1800 router.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card