Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issues

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice.

I have a network with multiple cameras, access controllers etc all IP based.

It ranges from 192.168.x.x and 10.168.x.x. and my monitoring PC`s that checks the cameras etc is on 192.168.0.x

It goes through various switches througout the building and ends up in the server room.

I just got a brand new Cisco 9300 Layer 3 switch and need help.

As i dont know which cable exactly connects to which camera or device i need to setup the switch if possible so that i can just plug in all the cables into any ports. How do i route the different IPs,Subnets so that my PC connected to the switch can be able to access these devices. basically routing it all to the default vlan that is 192.168.0.1

I realize its not ideal setup but currently my old Core switch packed up

21 Replies 21

Hello
Then you need  to:

• Enable ip routing on this switch
  • Create the L3 svi interfaces for each of these vlans
  • Make the switch the stp root for the estate
  • Have all your hosts running the correct ip address subnetmask with their default-gateway pointing to their respective L3 vlan interface residing on the core
  • Trunk the interfaces that interconnecting your distribution-access switches but make sure you set the vtp revision mode to 0 of the new switch before connecting  once connected your switch should inherit the vtp database from the other switches allow all vlans to begin with on these trunks and manually  prune later if need be

Once this is done and you have all trunks up:running you should be able to administer any device from any access port on your network.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So when i create the svi interfaces , does it need to be allocated to  a specific port or is it recognized switch wide

OK great, in this case you want the same thing, but from your server room that is connected in another switch, right? If yes, could you share which interface they are using to connect them? 

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

so i have 18 fibers coming in from my other switches and converted to copper. they are then plugged into the core port 1-18

Could you share the configs of this ports.. because you will need allow the vlans that you need on these trunks and after it configure your switch on server room to accept this vlans and map ports itself to this vlans.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I added a pdf with a sample layout if you may look at it

i have setup SVI on the switch with the different Ip address (IE... 192.168.0.1 vlan (1), 192.168.1.1 vlan(2), 10.168.0.1 vlan3)etc)

when i go to port config i set it to trunk but my issue is its asking for the native VLAN so what do i choose as vlan 1, 2 and 3 is coming through the media converter.

the other pc`s and server etc local in the control room is easy i know which vlan etc and local pings fine direct on the switch but going out onto the outer network is problematic

So what i have discovered so far by playing with packet tracer

i create two vlans on the switch 192.168.1.1 /24 vlan 10 and 192.168.1.1 /24 vlan 20

but still cant ping either way from pc.

only after i add port 1 and port 2 to vlan 10 and 20 respectivley it can ping.

how can i set it up that i dont need to assign the ports to vlan 10 and 20 as the switch is L3 there should be a wayy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card