cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Rrotocol

guruvignesh
Level 1
Level 1

Can you explain the nuances between static routing, where routes are manually configured, and dynamic routing, where routes are automatically determined using routing protocols? How do these approaches impact network scalability, flexibility, and administrative overhead?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have ten prefix or more  which one is simple to config static or dynamic?

And dont think about

defualt route

because for static route you need to config static route in both router if you config defualt then there is big chance loop happened.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You have ten prefix or more  which one is simple to config static or dynamic?

And dont think about

defualt route

because for static route you need to config static route in both router if you config defualt then there is big chance loop happened.

Hi,

if your network is small, then you can use static route. Even if your topology is very very straightforward then you can use static route. But you should always be careful and configure properly.

Dynamic routing is best when your topology is large, it is scalable. Also, flexible is you configure properly (especially, when you tag/ add community in bgp).

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

I fed this to ChatGPT, as I feel that use of generative AI is a great tool for teaching and learning, but very new.  Many are still finding their way through feeding AI requests with enough context to get back quality responses.  Here's the question format:

how would you answer these questions for someone new to networking and with simple to understand explanations that resonateto an international audience: Can you explain the nuances between static routing, where routes are manually configured, and dynamic routing, where routes are automatically determined using routing protocols? How do these approaches impact network scalability, flexibility, and administrative overhead?

Here's the response:

Alright, let's use an analogy that might resonate with an international audience: driving in a city.

Static Routing (Manually Configured Routes):
Imagine driving in a city where you only rely on a paper map. Before you start your journey, you decide on the roads you'll take based on that map. Even if there's unexpected traffic or a road is closed, you don't change your route because you're sticking to the map.

Advantages:
- Predictability: You know your route in advance.
- Less Complexity: No need for real-time updates or tools; just the map.

Disadvantages:
- Flexibility: If there's a sudden roadblock or heavy traffic, you won't know until you reach it.
- Scalability: If new roads are built or old ones are closed, you'll need a new map.
- Administrative Overhead: Every time you want to take a different route, you'll have to manually plan it out on your map.

Dynamic Routing (Automatically Determined Routes):
Now, think about driving with a modern GPS or smartphone app. As you drive, the app updates your route in real-time. If there's traffic ahead or a road is closed, the app reroutes you to a faster path.

Advantages:
- Flexibility: Automatically adjusts to real-time conditions.
- Scalability: As the city expands and roads change, the app updates its map, and you don't need to do anything.
- Lower Administrative Overhead in Large Networks: Once set up, the system can largely handle changes on its own.

Disadvantages:
- Complexity: The system behind the GPS app is complex. Similarly, setting up dynamic routing in a network can be complex.
- Predictability: Since the route can change in real-time based on conditions, it might be different each time you drive.

To Sum Up:

- Static Routing is like using a paper map: straightforward but not adaptable to changes without manual intervention.
- Dynamic Routing is like using a GPS app: adaptable and automated, but initially more complex.

When deciding which to use, you'd consider:
- Size of the network (or city): For small networks, manually planning might be okay. For larger networks with frequent changes, automated solutions can save a lot of time.
- How often the network changes: If your network is mostly stable, a static approach might be fine. But if it changes often (new devices, changing connections), dynamic routing might be worth the setup effort.

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @guruvignesh,

Static routing offers simplicity and predictability but lacks scalability and adaptability. Dynamic routing, on the other hand, provides scalability, flexibility, and efficient network adaptation but requires careful design, configuration, and ongoing monitoring to manage the increased complexity effectively.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Comparison of static routing or dynamic routing needs to take into consideration the size and complexity of the network. If the network is small and simple then static routing is preferable. As the network becomes larger and more complicated then dynamic routing is preferable.

If your network is set up so that from a source device there is a single path to every destination then static routing is best. There is no bandwidth consumed by routing updates, there is no cpu processing of update information and configuration is more simple. Every thing is good. But if there is an alternate path to some destination then static routes become problematic. Static routing would always point to the same path, even if that path stops working the static route will still send traffic that way. It requires manual intervention to recognize that there is a problem and then to manually change the static route. The advantage of dynamic routing is that it can react automatically to changes in the network without requiring any manual intervention. And when there is an alternative path to a destination the dynamic routing protocol can compare them and choose the best path to the destination.

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you actually done both static routing and dynamic routing protocol via a routing protocol?

I ask, because some "hands-on" often makes the difference quite noticable.

In any routing, each L3 devices need to know how to reach all other networks that don't have a direct connection to that device.

It doesn't take a very large network to begin to bump up against all the manual configuration required with static routing.

Beyond the manual setup and on-going possible manual configuration changes that might be needed, static routing can have all kinds of issues when you have multiple paths in the network, and a link in some path breaks.

I just set of 4 routers, in Cisco's Packet Tracer, in a ring.

JosephWDoherty_0-1695316123023.png

Each connecting link I defined as a

192.168.#.0/24

For static routing, in this example, each router would need two static routes.

For dynamic routing, I used also used just two OSPF statements:

router ospf 1
network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 1

I didn't have to be careful about having the static route destinations and their corresponding next hops IPs.

I didn't have to worry about what happens if a link goes down, i.e. will a static route "black hole" some traffic even though another valid path exists.

In this case, even with just four routers and four transit links, I personally would prefer using a dynamic routing protocol.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card