Helpful
Replies

RV 320 Load Balance

kostasbackas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question regarding an RV320 Dual WAN load balance:

I have set it in Load Balance mode, using 2 VDSL x 50 WANs. When checking the speed via speedtest.net, I get only the one WAN speed. Is it by design?

Is there a chance to get both WANs speed using this tool, and, to be more specific, how do I get both WAN speed?

Best regards

Kostas

10 Replies 10

Hello,

make sure the Upstream/Downstream values in your WAN interface settings match 50MB for each one (page 56/57 of the attached user guide):

Dual WAN Connections
Use this feature to configure the settings for your Internet connections, if you are
using more than one WAN interface.
To configure the WAN ports, select System Management > Dual WAN in the
navigation tree.
To configure load balancing choose one of the following modes to manage your
WAN connections:
• Smart Link Backup—Ensures continuous connectivity. If the primary WAN
connection is unavailable, the backup WAN connection is used. Choose the
primary WAN interface from the drop-down menu.
• Load Balance—Use both WAN connections simultaneously to increase the
available bandwidth. The router balances the traffic between the two
interfaces in a weighted round-robin method.
NOTE DNS queries are not subject to load balancing.
To configure Interface Settings, select the WAN Interface and click Edit. The
settings window for the interface appears. Enter the following parameters:
Max Bandwidth Provided by ISP
Enter the maximum bandwidth settings as specified by your ISP. If the bandwidth
exceeds the specified number, the router uses another WAN interface for the next
connection.
• Upstream—Maximum upstream bandwidth provided by your ISP. The
default is 10000 kbs. The maximum is 1000000 kbs.
System Management
Dual WAN Connections
57 Cisco RV320/RV325 Administration Guide
• Downstream—Maximum downstream bandwidth provided by your ISP.
The default is 10000 kbs.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/administration/guide/en/rv32x_ag_en.pdf

Thank you,

Sorry, that does not seem to work. No matter what speed I set there (either 50 ΜΒs, or the real speed that ISP says I have), I keep going out using one WAN only.

Using our other load balance solution, I get the combined speed of the 2 WAN links, at leat in Speedtest application (see attached).

Best regards

Kostas

Other Load BalancerOther Load BalancerRV 320 Load BalanceRV 320 Load Balance

OK, since no other answer-opinion has been posted, I guess LB does not work this way... Will install the device to the client and see there.

Best regards

Kostas

Hello,

have a look at the doc below, it describes how to set up inbound load balancing, which should accomplish the same thing...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-support-documents/configure-inbound-load-balance-on-rv320-and-rv325-vpn-routers/ta-p/3170611

Thank you, I have seen this but (maybe I am wrong) is for specific hosts? Just enabling it and set nothing to other fields will work?

Best regards

Kostas

Hello,

inbound seems to require a host (such as a mail or FTP server) so that won't do you any good, since you want to load balance all traffic.

Back to the original problem, in the section  System Management > Dual WAN, have you enabled Network Service Detection ? It might be possible that the IP address pinged to determine the availability of the second link might not work. Best to use something like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, as these addresses are always up and reachable.

Will try that and get back.

Best regards

Kostas

What was the other device you used in order to combine your bandwidth? Did you ever solve the issue with the rv325? I'm in the same situation.

I have the same problem too. Has anyone solved it?

 Hi,

Maybe I solved it.

I have two lte routers. So I need a dual wan router to combine them. I bought cisco rv320 router used as it was cheap. 

I had similar problems like all of you setting this router to work as dual wan dual balanced router.

After some research I found out that cisco rv320 router can't do bandwidth aggregation, meaning you can't combine two or more lte routers in one connection.

But it can do dual balancing in a way that it use faster router.

I was on wrong track thinking it can be done with inbound load balance. It can't. Inbound load balance is used for incoming traffic ie. you have web server or whatever and you are accessing it from outside.

To set load balancing go to advanced routing and on Static Routing Table click add

I  add two routes; destination ip is main main router on local network; subnet mask 255.255.255.0; default gateway is rv320 ip address as it is setup as a gateway; hop count 1; interface wan1.

I did the same setup on wan2 interference. As I tested it should work as described.

xapp-tmp-0x55ee381e9740-1.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card