Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 router between 2 access points

t_scholem
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RV320 that is sitting between 2 different routers/access points on my network. Essentially:

My ISP's router/access point <-----> RV320 <-----> My other access point

I want clients connected to each access point to be able to talk to each other. The only way I could make this setup work is to connect each access point to a LAN port on my RV320; using the WAN port creates separate networks and I couldn't make WAN traverse to LAN.

With that being said, now I have another problem: I have some other devices connected to RV320 that run on a VLAN. When I try to connect to internet from them, it doesn't work -- my guess is that communication reaches RV320 but since there isn't a WAN interface, it drops the messages.

Is there any way to achieve this setup with a RV320? It would be good if I could either:

1. communicate from WAN to LAN on the default VLAN; or
  2. configure a default gateway per VLAN, so that I could tell RV320 to send traffic from my special VLAN to my ISP's router.

Thanks a bunch!

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

look at the documents on this page

especially the firewall configuration

you may try to disable the firewall first

do not forget to configure your ISP's router with a static route to the network behind the RV320

Thanks for your reply @pieterh

My ISP router creates a 192.168.2.0/24 subnet. This is the same subnet used by my other access point, behind RV320. This network is created on RV320 but as I mentioned, just LAN ports are used.

In your solution, should I keep everything on LAN or can I use WAN? I'm asking because I would prefer to use WAN so that I can use RV320's VPN capabilities. And from my experience, I wasn't able to make WAN and LAN be part of the same network.

If my WAN is on the 192.168.2.0/24 network and my access point on LAN is on 192.168.3.0/24 network, then clients moving from one access point to another will lose connection, require new IP, etc, which is not desirable. Right?

>>> In your solution, should I keep everything on LAN or can I use WAN? <<<

in my solution it should be possible to connect clients both to LAN ports on the RV320

and LAN ports on the provider router (WAN network 192.168.2.0/24 )

>>> then clients moving from one access point to another will lose connection, require new IP, etc, which is not desirable. Right? <<<

Yes that is correct when moving from the provider AP to your own AP they will get an address in another subnet like 192.168.3.0/24. This need not be a problem, unless a lot of moving occurs. But as clients tend to cling to the connected AP s long as possible moving will be limited and primarily when you physically move them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card