Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 router - want to use both static & DHCP addressing schemes

nrambo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks! 

I have a Cisco RV320 that I want to use for assigning IPs both statically and via DHCP.

The router has two wi-fi access points and a PC in three ports, assigned static IPs. I want to add an Arlo camera system in a fourth port that requires DHCP for cloud functionality. 

Unfortunately, I did not select or initially configure this router. I did try reading the manual prior to posting. It was a little too esoteric and beyond my understanding; I would love to learn more! 

Link to manual on Cisco site

This is being posted on Thurs 12/01, I will have this router in front of me on Monday morning 12/05. 

Any insight offered is greatly appreciated!  

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps we can start with some clarifications. You describe 3 devices (two wi-fi access points and a PC) that have static IPs. Are these IPs configured on the devices? Or do you need DHCP to assign specific addresses to specific devices?

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your response.

• Are these IPs configured on the devices? Or do you need DHCP to assign specific addresses to specific devices?

Unfortunately I did not set up the APs so I cannot confidently answer your question, my apologies. If I recall correctly, the static IPs are assigned by the router. I do believe I was able to navigate a few months ago to the table that detailed the assignment of the three static IPs. My goal is not to mess with the configuration of those three devices whatsoever, as they were set up by a third party who is difficult to deal with.

With the camera system I'm looking to add (the 4th device), only it needs an IP assigned via DHCP. However, plugging it into an open port does not assign it an IP, as DHCP seems to be disabled or not assigned to any ports (if that is even an option).

Ultimately, I want to leave the other devices using static IPs alone and simply have the router assign a dynamic IP to the Arlo camera system - a dual addressing scheme if you will. Three ports/devices using static IPs, one port using DHCP for the camera system.

Regards,

Nick

Nick

Thanks for the update. Usually when we talk about static IPs they are configured on the device  and not on the router. Perhaps in this case that is not the case. You said " I do believe I was able to navigate a few months ago to the table that detailed the assignment of the three static IPs.". When you do have the router in front of you perhaps you can find that part of the config and post it here?

In the mean time there are some things we can think about. 

1) how many IP addresses will you need for the camera system? Is a single IP address all you need? Just a few? A bunch? This would have some impact on how we plan to do the DHCP.

2) would you want the IP for the camera in the same subnet used for the other devices or would it be a separate subnet?

3) for dynamic assignment of IP for the camera system you will need to create a DHCP scope. If you are using a separate subnet (especially appropriate if there will be many IP involved) it is quite straight forward. If the camera system will be in the same subnet then you need to be careful in creating the DHCP scope that you do not overlap with any of the IP addresses used for static.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card