Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple static route question

rmott19811
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All -

First off I want to say thank you to everyone helping out, this is a great community from what I've seen thus far.  All my google searches bring me here :)

So I built my lab, trying to study for my CCNA and for some reason, perhaps I'm over-analyzing, but I cannot wrap my head around this.  The topology is attached (JPEG) and I've labeled mostly everything.  When I assign an ip / subnet between 2 routers, who gets the .1 and who gets the .2?  Does it matter?

Like I said, I could be over-thinking this..  either that or I've just been up way too long.  Any help is greatly appreciated guys/gals, thank you very much.  Please let me know if I've left out any pertinent information and I'll be glad to fill in the blanks.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

When I assign an ip / subnet between 2 routers, who gets the .1 and who gets the .2?  Does it matter?

It does not matter. Usually if you are doing this in a large environment and you have many routers/switches with /30 subnets you want to adopt an schema for yourself, so it is easy to remember.

For example; some providers always assign the lower number to their own interface and the higher number goes to the customer router.  Other than this it really does not matter.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

When I assign an ip / subnet between 2 routers, who gets the .1 and who gets the .2?  Does it matter?

It does not matter. Usually if you are doing this in a large environment and you have many routers/switches with /30 subnets you want to adopt an schema for yourself, so it is easy to remember.

For example; some providers always assign the lower number to their own interface and the higher number goes to the customer router.  Other than this it really does not matter.

HTH

Reza -

Thanks so much for your response, makes sense!

Glad to help and thanks for the rating!

kwbrefo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

On a point to point connection it does not matter which interface gets the ip address .1 or .2. but I should mention also that your subnetting is inefficient. Point to Point connections typically have a subnet mask of /30 which allows only 2 usable hosts. 

Gotcha, so I'd just go to each interface and assign a /30 to each I would assume.

I'm still drilling subnetting hard so I'm still not best at it.

I appreciate your prompt response, thanks!

Yes you can assign /30 only for the point to point. If you want you can reupload your jpg and I can verify your subnetting.

Awesome thanks kwbrefo!  I'm gonna catch some z's right now but I will do this first thing in the morning!

Here's the new topology.  Basically I changed all subnets to /30's instead of /24's

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card