I was wandering what is your "in production method" for software upgrade on 4300 series.
From the documentation I found out about two methods:
- consolidated package aka old school IOS router upgrade path where you just copy bin file and mention it as boot system path
- individual package aka new method. Here's config example for it:
1. show version
2. dir bootflash:
3. show platform
4. mkdir bootflash: URL-to-directory-name
5. request platform software package expandfile URL-to-consolidated-package to URL-to-directory-name
7. boot URL-to-directory-name/packages.conf
8. show version installed
Now why would someone pick the new method if it requires console access to manually specify the boot image under ROMMON?