Views
Helpful
Replies

Static route dissapears when interface down

ccotech00
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone please help me out on this :

I have static route on a router to a remote network ,interface to remote network was in a down,down state ,and static entry dissapeared from routing table ,i could see the entry for the static route in the config though ,is this possible ? It is a cisco 3745 router with a 128K Diginet link to remote network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

m.lammerse
Level 1
Level 1

This is perfectly normaly behavior. If the static route would stay in the routing table, the router would be forwarding traffic to an interface that is not functioning properly.

One exception is a dialer interface, which establishes an on-demand connection. The router needs to be capable of forwarding traffic across a dialer, even when there is no active call. In that case, the router will 'spoof' the connection as being up. You can see that with 'show interface dialer .. '

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

this is normal if your static route is tied to the physical interface as follow:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 ethernet0/0

or

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 ethernet0/0 192.168.2.1

Why is it a problem if the interface is down anyway?

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Static route is not bound to physical interface but to IP of next hop router serial interface ,this is not a problem ,but the router forwarded the packets destined for the remote network ,to it`s default route ,which in this case is a firewall ,so there was some strange entries showing up in the firewall logs. Was just curious cause i wasn`t aware that a static route could be purged from the routing table.Might just be my inexperience though.Thanks for the feedback

m.lammerse
Level 1
Level 1

This is perfectly normaly behavior. If the static route would stay in the routing table, the router would be forwarding traffic to an interface that is not functioning properly.

One exception is a dialer interface, which establishes an on-demand connection. The router needs to be capable of forwarding traffic across a dialer, even when there is no active call. In that case, the router will 'spoof' the connection as being up. You can see that with 'show interface dialer .. '

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card