Views
Helpful
Replies

Two VLANs -- can ping only in one direction

MatthiasGTW
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts!

I have a Cisco 881w router, which has a built-in WLAN module. Technically it has to be configured as two separate devices with two separate VLANs and subnets (one of each for WLAN and one of each for LAN). So, I have used default VLAN1 for the LAN subnet 192.168.0.0/24 and created a new VLAN10 for the WLAN subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

Everything works fine, including NAT, I can access Internet from both subnets (i.e. from both, clients in LAN and clients in WLAN). I also can ping from a client in the LAN (VLAN1) to a client in the WLAN (VLAN10).

But: I can't ping vice versa, so I get no response when I ping from WLAN (VLAN10) to LAN (VLAN1). Any ideas what could be the problem here? I have attached both configs, from the normal router module and from the WLAN module.

Thanks in adavance for your help!

Kind regards, Matthias

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

generally, 99% of Ping working in one direction only problems are caused by a (personal) FW involved.

Are you able to Ping from one device in VLAN1 to another in the same VLAN?

If yes, are you able to Ping from your router to a device in VLAN1? And from VLAN10 to your router VLAN1 interface?

BR,

Milan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

generally, 99% of Ping working in one direction only problems are caused by a (personal) FW involved.

Are you able to Ping from one device in VLAN1 to another in the same VLAN?

If yes, are you able to Ping from your router to a device in VLAN1? And from VLAN10 to your router VLAN1 interface?

BR,

Milan

Hi Milan,

you were absolutely right, the problem came from the the Win7 firewall.

After disabling it for this test I was able to ping in both directions.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards, Matthias

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card