Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using configuration files from RV130W on RV160W or RV260W

Hello,

This is my first time posting on here!

So, a number of years ago, I had configured RV130W small business VPN router for a client with a few stores. I recall that configuring RV130W for their use was quite a process as they have multiple VoIP providers with capricious older phones, plus their IPSec to their main Server was a pain in the neck to configure as well, as it would drop midway through replication.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was successful in configuring all of this, and things have been good ever since. Now, they would like to upgrade all their stores to RV160W or RV260W to get access to dual Wi-Fi band and other goodies. Like the title says, I would like to get any of these upgraded routers, but I am wondering if anybody knows if I am able to upload my "just right" configurations files from their existing RV130W without issues?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not expert with these models, and if someone else in the community is expert with these I hope they will join the discussion. But given the possible differences in hardware and the very likely differences in version of code that they run, I think it wold be quite optimistic to think that you could upload the old config to the new hardware without issue.

If you have a good understanding of the old config I would think that it would not be difficult to create a new config on the new hardware. But a simple transfer of old config to new hardware is likely not going to be without issue.

HTH

Rick

Hello,

not sure if this helps, but I am looking at the admin guides of all three models (linked below) and they look very similar, especially the VPN part. If you are asking if you can just copy & paste the 130 config to the 160 and the 260, I would say no. You need to see what is happening when you configure the device. You can use the 130 config as a reference, but not more than that. Manual configuration of the new models is necessary, in my opinion.

Cisco RV130 Multifunction VPN Router
Cisco RV130W Wireless Multifunction VPN Router

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv130w/admin_guide/en/rv130w_admin_en.pdf

RV160x Administration Guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV160/Administration_Guide/b_RV160x_AG.pdf

RV260x Administration Guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV260/Admin_Guide/b_RV260x_AG.pdf

Thanks for your comments, Richard and Georg! 

I was wanting to just dump my "near perfect" configuration file in the "new" router and see if the upload would take. I guess, I have got my answer now. Manual configurations it will be, then!

Cheerio!

You are welcome. Agree that it would be very nice if you could just dump the old config into the new device, but that would be problematic. Understanding of the config and then manual config of the new device is the better approach. Hope it goes well. Let us know about the outcome.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card