cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vdsl2/pppoe query remote compression features

tkalfaoglu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.. I have a VDSL2 link with PPPoE handled by a CISCO 3625.

I was wondering if there was a way to query the compression options that the remote device would accept (remote is turkish telecom (ttnet)).  The idea was to simply speed up my internet a bit by enabling these features if the remote accepts.

Many thanks, -t

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @tkalfaoglu.,

The negotiation of compression options between your router and the remote device is dependent on the capabilities and configuration of the remote device. It's possible that the remote device may not support compression or may have specific configuration requirements. It's always best to consult with your ISP for information on the supported compression options and any specific recommendations they may have.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

compression need both side support this feature, 
if you face slow check the mtu. reduce mtu under the ppp to be 1398-1400 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cannot say if still true, but years ago router to router compression didn't compress too well and it placed a noticable load on the CPU.  I.e. good chance not worth doing.

However, a variation of what @MHM Cisco World suggested might be very worthwhile.  Which is, try using the interface command:  ip tcp adjust-mss 1452.  (Why ip tcp adjust-mss 1452?  Oh, and contrary to forgoing Cisco TechNote, I would suggest that command be placed on WAN interface, not LAN interface.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card