Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN and router

fortega_cl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys!

My ISP gave to my 2 VLANs: Vlan 1 to all my PCs and VLAN 201 to the phones.

I want to separate the office into multiples vlan per department, and planning to put a router so i can connect between departments.

My problem is the phone's vlan:

Can i make gi 0/0.201 "switch" to gi 0/1.201 in the router? (i have an cisco 1921 K9).

My only solucion that i can think is to plug isp switch to my core switch to pass vlan201 and the router to isp switch and to my core switch.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

trfinkenstadt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Yes, you can do dot1q trunks on any of the ISR platforms to switches.  However, depending on how much traffic you have between VLANs you can overload the 1921 forwarding capacity.

We do this to separate carrier connectivity between customers on a single Gig link. 

If you could provide a quick/simple drawing, you would probably get more responses.

hth,

tim

Thank for you answer.

I'm making a lab and my problem are the phones.

I can't find how to "forward" gi 0/0.201 to gi 0/0/0 vlan 201. The router get gi 0/0.201 IP (there no conectivity issue).

Thanks again!

It's not clear from your diagram why you have PC's and phones directly connected to the ISP switch ?

Do you mean ISP as in internet or do you mean SP as in private WAN ?

It's also not clear why you want phones on both sides of the router.

Ideally all vlans should exist behind your router and you do DHCP for everything and then simply route any traffic to remote destinations via the ISP.

Then you have full control.

In addition with the PCs outside the router their default gateway is presumably the ISP router so how will they connect to the inside devices on vlans 25 and 26 ?

You could maybe get this to work with a lot of extra configuration but it would be a mess.

Perhaps you can explain in a bit more detail how this setup is meant to work in terms of the ISP.

Jon

ISP don't see my internal vlan.

My headache today is that every devices see every other device.

The ISP provides internet, phone and VPLS between 2 buildings (L2).

Phones use trunk ports: uses tagged vlan 201 for phone and left a port for pc in non tagged lan.

I must end with 2 routers (one for each building) in the isp network.

I start moving departments into vlans, but cannot pass vlan 201 throw the router: my only idea is to put one interface to vlan1 (gi 0/0) and another to vlan 201 (gi0/0/7).

The PC and phone in router is and example only.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card