Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP with QoS Policy

danarjamal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a network where I am using (VRRP) for my client's gateway redundancy and OSPF and iBGP inside the network, also I am applying output Qos Policy, and I have an issue here. 

When the traffic from the user comes in, it only goes to the VIP, which is ok, but when the traffic goes out, it goes out through both routers, which makes the QoS policy useless and the clients end up using more bandwidth than their limit.

Thank you for your input.

Cisco-VRRP.pngthe 

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Then you will have to play with the OSPF metrics to influence the return traffic. 

Jon

Dear John,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I was looking to suppress the backup routes automatically, and not change the OSPF metric. 

Kind Regards,

Danar Mahmood

Not sure what you mean by suppress the backup routes. 

If you mean stop them then I would have thought you wanted to avoid that as you would no longer have any redundancy. 

Jon

Dear jon,

Regarding the backup route suppression,

I mean to suppress the backup route so that traffic won't go back to the backup router in order to reach the client, I want it to go through the master node only. and when the master goes down, then the backup will advertise the routes and can receive and send traffic for the clients.

or if there is any other way to control the bandwidth for my client through 2 gateways, it is also fine.

Thanks & Kind Regards

Danar Mahmood

Ok if you want to use route suppression then go with that instead of influencing the metrics. 

Jon

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what devices is this ? and what is code running?

Can you post the config bit to understand the issue?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Dear Balaji,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the devices, they are Edgecore but with IOS XR, and it has all the functionalities as NCS 5K.

For the configuraiton, it is simple VRRP,OSPF, iBGP and MPLS. the thing is that the traffic goes out to my clients through both gateways. and this happens because the cost from Site2-R2 is lower through Site1-R1 to reach the client, thus Site2-R2 sends the traffic through Site1-R2 to reach our client, and the same happens to S2-R1 and Site1-R1. 

the issue is here, while S1-R1 is the master node, only S1-R1 must be able to forward the traffic to the client in order to apply the policy.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Danar Mahmood

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card