cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what does Remark do in shaping/policing ?

dolanduck.
Level 1
Level 1

what does it do ? 

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-policing/19645-policevsshape.html#selectioncriteria

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @dolanduck. ,

in policing remarking the packets that exceed the CIR is an alternative to simply dropping them.

In this case remarking means changing the DSCP value in the packet giving to the packet a "worse" PHB Per Hop Behaviour so that if in the travel to the final destination there is any form of congestion these packets remarked are more likely to be dropped by WRED.

Remarking in shaping is less used as in this case the packets in excess are stored in software queues waiting to be sent out at a later time. If these queues are full some packets can be dropped.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Just a note to add to Giuseppe's comments, he's correct, but understand unless you control end-to-end QoS, there's no guarantee how any packet with a particular ToS marking will (later) be treated.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card