Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi too far away

uhricik.ondrej
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I wonder If you could help me. I have a PC in my room and network I want to connect to is in a house next to the one where I live from the other side so I do not have a signal. I cant use cable because it is too far away and across a road, repeater, booster or extender will not work. What can I do? I tried to extend my WiFi card with SMA cable but signal loss was too big.

Any ideas?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Buy your own Internet circuit?

all I can get is 7Mbps and almost zero upload so I will rather have 40/40 if I can. Virgin media says my postcode is not cabled yet even though the network I am talking about is on Virgin media (No, I do not understand either).

The only option you would have is to put in a pair of point to point bridges in a place where they have line of sight to each other, and run cabling from those spots back to where you need it.

It would not be cheap, and not economic in a domestic environment.

Hello,

why is an extender not an option ? The e.g Netgear Nighthawk EX7000 is a pretty good one. 

Either way, and since you are on a Cisco Forum, Aironet 1570 outdoor access points would be a pretty robust solution, however, they are fairly expensive, and likely overkill for what you are trying to achieve, which is extending a home network.

Google for 'cantenna', which is a proven way to extend a wifi range.

https://jacobsalmela.com/2013/09/07/wi-fi-cantenna-2-4ghz-how-to-make-a-long-range-wi-fi-antenna/

tried extender and it does not work because it is like a guest network with welcome page where you agree with terms and conditions and there is no way to accept that with extender.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card