cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local DNS setting for on-Prem ZTP

muthumohan
Level 1
Level 1

For on-Prem DNS, how do you point your vEdge to a local server?

When you connect your vEdge to Internet, the ISP router will issue an IP address and DNS server name. Since this information is coming from ISP, it will point to ISP's DNS server. Now, for on-prem ZTP setup, I need to modify the A record to point to my on-prem ZTP server. How to do this, if DNS server is on ISP side?

If I set up a local DNS server, how do I make vEdge to use this DNS instead of DNS provided by ISP?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Hi,

you may manually configure host entry in VPN0 (like local DNS cache).

HTH,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Hi Kanan,

It is ZTP scenario, I won't be able to touch the device

How do we redirect the vEdge to the local DNS, in ZTP case?

Thanks.

Mohan

Hi,

You may ask ISP to send your DNS values (I don't know,they do such things or not). But, how router will reach DNS server over internet? Is this DNS server available via public network - internet?

regards,

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Thanks Kanan.

Till now, I am not able to find an answer to my original question. So, I conclude that on-prem ZTP solution will not work if the vEdge is attached to Internet via ISP. This solution will only work if you attach your vEdge to your internal network such as MPLS, where CE router's LAN interface can act as DHCP server and it can point to your local DNS server, where you can map ztp.viptela.com to the IP address of your vBond.

Thanks,

Mohan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: