Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Stealthwatch

beejrteek
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

Can anyone explain me different between Flow Sensor and UDP Director ? Both appliances capture NetFlow traffic and send it to Flow Collector, but I don't understand why we must use both of it, In my opinion both of this appliances doing the same work...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dethrift
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can send netflow, or syslog or any UDP traffic, to a UDP Director. You have rules on the UDP Director to direct those UDP communications to final destination or even multiple destinations.  When the final destination(s) receives the traffic it appears as if it came from the original source.

A Flow Sensor is connected to a TAP or SPAN port. It performs deep packet inspection to extract the appropriate metadata (source, destination, ports, url, application identification, etc), then it generates flow data and sends to a Flow Collector (maybe through a UDP Director).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

dethrift
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can send netflow, or syslog or any UDP traffic, to a UDP Director. You have rules on the UDP Director to direct those UDP communications to final destination or even multiple destinations.  When the final destination(s) receives the traffic it appears as if it came from the original source.

A Flow Sensor is connected to a TAP or SPAN port. It performs deep packet inspection to extract the appropriate metadata (source, destination, ports, url, application identification, etc), then it generates flow data and sends to a Flow Collector (maybe through a UDP Director).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: