Helpful
Comments
Jay Johnston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Episode Name: Episode 28 - The History of the PIX

Contributors:  David White Jr., Jay Johnston

Posting Date: June 7, 2012

Description: Jay and David discuss the history of the PIX platform. Topics include the different PIX hardware types, how the software changed over time, the motivation for some of the features that were added, and also how the history of the Firewall Services Module, PIX and ASA are intertwined.

Listen Now    (MP3 16.5 MB; 22:57 mins)

Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes by clicking the image below:

button_itunes.gifrss.gif

About the Cisco TAC Security Podcast

The Cisco TAC Security Podcast Series is created by Cisco TAC engineers. Each episode provides an in-depth technical discussion of Cisco product   security features, with emphasis on troubleshooting.

Complete episode listing and show information

Show Notes

Picture of PIX OS Floppy sent by @akant on twitter...new in packaging!

Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 10.49.05 AM.png

PIX Hardware

Original PIX

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 4.17.15 PM.png

PIX Classic

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 4.18.13 PM.png

PIX 520

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 4.18.21 PM.png

PIX 515

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 4.18.47 PM.png

PIX 501

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 4.21.12 PM.png

PIX 506

Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 4.18.26 PM.png

Comments
Adesh Gairola
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am not sure it’s just for me but when I click on Listen Now it takes this to episode #27 (IOS Embedded Event Manager (EEM)).

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Peace!

Adesh

Jay Johnston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adesh,

That was my error, I fixed the link.

Thanks!

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ohh Finesse.... ....

Still, Pix 6.3 without the packet tracer tool or Asymetric Nat logs or RPF tools to check at the NAT configuration is really complicated.

Ohh not to mention the static NATs which actually remained there until you literally do a clear xlate.

Althou I have to say, great Box... it did/does everything you need it to.

Mike

james-worley
Level 1
Level 1

I have nightmare about the CLI in Os 4.x on PIX classic. Great boxes still working all these years later.

We still have an HA pair of 535s running our outside Internet edge.

r_j_gale
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

Great series, thoroughly enjoying listening to these on the daily commute.

Whens the next podcast of security goodness due out?

Cheers,

Rich

Jay Johnston
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rich,

Thanks for writing in! I just submitted our next episode for posting, hopefully it will be up soon (within a week). Then we have another episode ready to go which I'll get into the system in early September.

Any specific topics you'd like us to cover?

Thanks,

Jay

r_j_gale
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Jay,

The one that springs to mind is the CCIE Sec transition from v3 to v4 and the inclusion of ISE, Ironport and a few others.

Also I'd like to hear your take on the ASA-CX series.

Cheers,

Rich

bdonaldson
Community Member

I just started listening to your podcasts!  Especially love this one.  I've managed PIXs since having one of the original NTI PIX's starting in 1995, just before Cisco bought them.  Here is a photo of the table of contents of the Command Reference for version 2.6.  I have the book still.  Also have a letter from NTI informing us of the purchase by Cisco.  We are down to just one PIX left on our network, after moving to FWSMs and ASAs.  Thanks! - Bill

NTI_PIX.JPG

David White
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Very cool!  Thanks for the pic.

Unfortunately for us, the PIX soon will be history, with End of Support rapidly approaching for the last supported appliances (July 2013).  It will be a sad day to say the least.

We (in the TAC) were talking the other day about what is the longest uptime we have seen on a customer device.  Wouldn't you know we saw a customer's PIX with an uptime of 9 years 26 days !

Yep, we're going to miss them...

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: