Views
Helpful
Replies

question on N7k VDC's

nikhil.kulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was till now under the impression that we create VDC's in a Nexus 7k switch and use the root switch as a base devices. Normally the root switch is only used as a management. I recently came across a configuration where a client had configured the root switch as a VDC itself.

When I do a "sh vdc" on the root switch it shows me 3 VDC's, 1 itself and 2 others.

My question is, is it recommended? How do you actually configure this?

Regards,

Nikhil.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nikhil

You are correct

All allocations should be done from admin VDC.

There you can assign and reassign ports to certain VDC's

With new SUP - SUP2 you can have up to 8+1 VDC

HTH,

Alex

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kamal kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Nikhil,

Total no of VDC depends on type of SUP and license . if its SUP1 , then total you have can have 4 VDC including Base( admin) VDC . Now these VDC's can be used in any fashion . usually Admin or management VDC is not used for production traffic , but if you happen to use that , then also there in no issues.

HTH ...

Got it, thanks Kamal...

So now if I have to allocate new resources in a VDC, I will have to connect to the admin VDC and then again login into the same vdc and then allocate the resources, correct?

e.g.:

Admin-vdc#

Admin-vdc#conf t

Admin-vdc(config)#vdc Admin-vdc

Admin-vdc(config-vdc)#allocate inter ****

Correct?

For allocating resources to VDC ,you should be in that VDC .... You can reach to VDC via admin VDC or via direct mapping of Mgmt0 port with a VDC specific IP address ...

Hi Nikhil

You are correct

All allocations should be done from admin VDC.

There you can assign and reassign ports to certain VDC's

With new SUP - SUP2 you can have up to 8+1 VDC

HTH,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: