Views
Helpful
Replies

SNA/IP?

resfat2001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Currently we have a mainframe IBM, we prefer to use network IP. i want to inter-connect the network Token Ring of IBM to the remainder of the network and allowing the end-users to use their Windows station to connect to the mainframe by using Windows SNA server.

Which are PLEASE the possible scenarios for a solution and especially the pre required material Cisco.

What do you think about this solution?

Thank you for your assistance.

7 Replies 7

romney
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From your attachment I see the following ...

M/F --tr-- RTR --ip-- RTR --eth-- M/S SVR --eth-- PC

You could implement DLSW in each of the routers to transport your SNA traffic over the ip network. That would be the simplest solution if you want to keep the token ring in place.

If your M/F has (or can add) IP connectivity then you could remove the token ring and have a picture like this ...

M/F --ip-- RTR --eth-- M/S SVR --eth-- PC

where the RTR is running SNASwitch with Enterprise Extender to deliver the SNA traffic directly to the M/F over the ip network.

I have several follow-on questions ...

How many M/Fs are there?

What OS is running on the M/F(s)?

Are there any FEPs adjacent to the M/F(s)?

What version of M/S server are you using?

How many M/S servers and PCs do you have?

- Ray

The solution is

M/F --tr—RTR1 –“SNA“—RTR2 --eth-- M/S SVR --eth-- PC

we want to implement DLSW + just in the second router

is it correct?

How many M/Fs are there? One M/F

What OS is running on the M/F(s)?

Are there any FEPs adjacent to the M/F(s)? no

What version of M/S server are you using? 2000

How many M/S servers and PCs do you have? One M/S server and 60PCs

Please what is the prerequisite of routers?

The minimum configuration (gamme, ios, DRAM, FLASH)

thanks

DLSW works with two peers, one on each side of the IP network, so both RTR1 and RTR2 would require DLSW to be configured.

DLSW is supported on most Cisco router platforms. With the number of sessions you are talking about I think you could use a low-end router ... 26xx is a popular model for such purposes. I would use IOS 12.2 or 12.3. You can check out the various platforms and IOS images available by going to http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/servlet/index. Choose 'Search by feature' and then specify DLSW. For example, if you choose 2610XM, you could use the c2600-js-mz.12.2-17d image, which requires 48M ram and 16M flash.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk331/tk336/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093ecd.shtml describes how to configure DLSW remote peers to connect Ethernet to Token ring over an IP cloud, which appears to me to match exactly what you are trying to do. Please pay special attention to the section about bit-swapping mac addresses.

- Ray

Which is please the best scenario?

Case(1)

M/F --tr-- RTR --ip-- RTR --eth-- M/S SVR --eth-- PC

Case (2)

M/F --tr-- RTR --SNA-- RTR --eth-- M/S SVR --eth-- PC

thanks

Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, Case 1 and Case 2 are really the same. You have SNA traffic which must flow between the PC and the M/F. You want to use an ip network between the two routers. DLSW allows that SNA traffic to be transported over the IP network. Please clarify if I'm missing your point. - Ray

thanks

dmccullo
Level 1
Level 1

Have you considered simply running TN3270 Client software on the end user Windows PCs, and running TN3270 Server software, either in the mainframe or on our CPA card?

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/products_data_sheet09186a0080091ef3.html

It gets you to IP, end to end, without the intermediate complexities.

Dan